Friday, February 28, 2014

A Traveler's Tale

I recently took a trip to Dallas to visit a homegirl of mine for a few days (and to get out of my hometown).  As I did the last time I visited her, I took the train.  Because we have no Amtrak station where I live (Shreveport, LA), I had to hop a shuttle at our regional airport and ride to East Texas (about an hour away) to catch the train.

While waiting on the shuttle a guy came over to where I was sitting and just lingered around a bit, then sauntered over to the other side of the airport (away from me).  After about ten minutes he returned to my sitting area, and minutes later he looked over at me and hit me with the "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

Now I've been in event promotions and arts/entertainment half of my life, so a lot of people "know me". Unfortunately I'm horrible with names, but his face looked familiar -- I just couldn't figure out if he was someone I used to know, or someone I would rather forget.

Anyway, he strikes up a conversation and we try to place where we know each other ... School? No, he grew up in the "country" ... Did you date someone I know? Nope, he didn't date Shreveport girls really ...  We kept trying but to no avail, and just chalked it up to us having vaguely familiar faces.

After a while, he finally sat next to me and we chatted a bit more until our shuttle arrived.  As we got assembled to board, he motioned for me to get in line first, and although he didn't help me with my bag, he did assist a disabled lady with hers and helped her to her seat -- which got him a brownie point.  The bus was barely half full so he sat in the back and I sat in the front, and we didn't chat during the ride to the train station.

Once we got to the station, the chatting resumed, especially when we found out our train would be delayed an hour or more.  The small waiting room was too crowded for me, so I decided to brave the cold (with my blanket wrapped around me) and sit outside.  Out there, I chatted up some other travelers, including a woman headed to California and a silver-haired man who I just know was the bees knees back in his day.

After about 30 minutes outside, my chatty buddy came out there and made a bee-line to where I was.  He'd walked up the street to a corner store and announced (very proudly) that he had a margarita (the raspberry Bud Light Lime kind) --- and it was only 9 am.  In his hands was a Gatorade and a half-eaten bag of flamin' hot Cheetos.

Our chatting resumed yet again and covered everything from a sugar-content comparison between my Hawaiian Punch and his Gatorade, to our college days ... and eventually during this lengthy convo (which the woman headed to Cali joined when she returned from warming up inside) he revealed more about himself.

He said attended Southern University in Baton Rouge, majored in Pre-Med, but now works for some contracting company so he can have more reasonable hours. At first he only mentioned one child, a daughter, but in talking to the Cali-bound woman he said he had two daughters.  He also said, when we talked about cooking habits, that he was single.  He told us he was heading to Arlington and would be going back home the next day.  He said he took the train because his truck was a gas guzzler.  He talked ... a LOT.  Lol.

He never asked about me. Things just got revealed as he revealed.  He never asked for my information ... but he did sit out in the cold for 45 mins with me.  I take that as a "She's pretty cool" (literally lol).

When our train finally arrived, he sat a couple rows behind me.  I could hear him making calls and I knew one of them was to a woman by how the tone of his voice changed.  I didn't think anything of it though.

During our nearly 3-hour train ride to the DFW, he passed by and smiled and made comments but never sat down or anything.  I ended up falling asleep before we arrived.

When we got to Dallas, he was off the train so quick I didn't even get to say goodbye.  In the area where we collected our bags, I caught a glimpse of him and he looked right at me but said nothing -- acting like we didn't even converse at all.  I just took it as him being ready to go (because he'd seemed impatient at the other station).  And we went our separate ways.

Later that night, at my friend's house, I decided to look him up on social media since we didn't exchange info.  I found a Facebook page.

When I pulled up the profile ... What do I see?

His marital status: In A Relationship (Since 2012)

His girlfriend was tagged in the Marital Status as well.

And where does she live?

Arlington, TX

Seriously?

You ain't gotta lie CRAIG!!! 

I was just some chick you claim you might know that you chatted up during travel ... why lie and say you're Single?

It finally dawned on me that the reason he was acting funny when we arrived is because she was probably the one who picked him up.  Had to put on a front I guess.

(Shrug) 

Ah well, hope he had as much fun on his trip as I did on mine :)


No comments:

Post a Comment